Text Box: May 18, 2005 Preservation Listings and Awards Proposed Additions to the Significant/Notable Structures & Historic Landmarks List

Moore House: President Lincoln visited his      stepmother and stepsister before heading to Washington DC to assume the Presidency. Located just north of the Lincoln Log Cabin site, SE Pleasant Grove Township, Coles County, IL.

Lincoln Log Cabin: Settlement area of President Lincoln's Parents and family friends and acquaintances. Located SE Pleasant Grove Township, Coles County,

Shiloh Cemetery: In Shiloh Cemetery are the graves of Thomas and Sarah Bush Lincoln, father and stepmother of Abraham Lincoln. On January 31, 1861, shortly before assuming the Presidency, Lincoln came here from Springfield to visit his father's grave in company of his stepmother. Located on E. Lincoln Highway Road, in the southern part of Pleasant Grove Township.

Coles County Fairgrounds: For 150 years, the oldest privately owned and operated county fairgrounds in the State of Illinois. Located in the northwest part of Charleston, Ill.  

"Copperhead Riot" Site: Southeast Courthouse Square, Charleston, IL where one of the largest "Southern Sympathizer" riots took place during the Civil War.

Grant Park: Area bounded by DeWitt, Moultrie, Logan and 6th Streets in Park was the site where Ulysses S. Grant assumed his first Civil War command.

Rutherford House:  Home f Dr Rutherford in Oakland, Il, for years the only physician in East Central Illinois .  Dr. Rutherford and his family were well acquainted with Abraham Lincoln.  The home served as a center for “Slavery Abolition  Activism” in Illinois.

III. Merit Award:

Curt Buescher, Public Works Director, City of Charleston Il—  improvements to the Charleston square including sidewalk improvements, and coordination of efforts with other groups.

                                                                   
                                                                    Go to Page 3

Text Box:     Page  #
Text Box:    The Coles County Courier
Text Box:     Volume 26, Issue 2  
Text Box: Significant Structures & Events 
Text Box: I.         Significant Structures
Ashmore Commercial Building
200 Block of W. Ash more St. (IL Rte. 16), Ashmore
The G.A. Brown Building is one of the most intact examples of early 20th century commercial architecture in Coles County, IL. It is of brick construction with the 2nd story having an elaborate metal shade with 6 double-hung sash windows. The first story retains its original wood panel and glass storefront and paneled front door. The 2n story has the date 1905 & G.A. Brown and Sons in relief.
Brinegar-Hart House
Paradise Township, Coles County, IL
The Village of Paradise was laid out in 1837, by Miles W. Hart  and Thomas Brinegar. This small "German Style" house was built in 1853. It is only one of three German style cottages left in Coles County. No other homes of this period stand in Paradise Township. It features a symmetrical design with a door and window on each side with no roof overhang ("Federal Building" type style).
II.        Historic Landmarks
In 2005, there is a new category of historic significance known as "Historic Landmarks". Long used by the State of Illinois, historic landmarks are sites where significant events in the history of the state or nation have taken place or sites where persons of historic note have resided, worked or visited. Sites proposed for Coles County Historic Landmark designation are famous throughout the State of Illinois and the nation.
                                                                                                                                                           Go to Page 3